This building was the work of the English engineer Jame BRUNLERS and was built according to the model of identical constructions in BRIGHTON in Great Britain. It burnt shortly before its official opening.
Fortunately, there was no loss of human life.
This building was insured for 4 ½ million francs by the companies GRESHAM, LA PATERNELLE and LONDON JOINT STOCK BANK.
The causes of this catastrophe remain unknown.
After being rebuilt, it was reopened in 1885 and was definitively destroyed by the Germans during the Second World War.