Capuchin Fathers set up a monastery at Saint BARTHELEMY in 1552 under the auspices of the bishop of NICE, FRANCOIS LAMBERTO and they built, in 1555 the church (which still exists today) after the bishop had installed and consecrated the cross and put in the first stone.
This church, built on ruins of an older church, was answerable to Saint PONS monastery and was placed under the title and patronage of Saint BARTHELEMY, the apostle. It was given to the Capuchins by the Reverend Abbot of the Abbey of Saint PONS, martyr of the Saint BENOIT order (Benedictines).
In 1620, the convent and the church were extended.
This convent did not have an income and land was given by various benefactors devoted to the Capuchin religion. Madam Marguerite de France, duchess of Savoy, bought some of this, and assigned 60 Italian gold pieces for payment, in 1560. She gave a silver chalice, too.
The Mineurs Capuchin Brothers were poor, living for charity, wearing a brown homespun habit and they had to pay an annual water-fee for Saint PONS monastery. They received, in return, a flask of wine.