This square often changed its name.
First, its name was Place PAIROLIERA because it was located at the end of Pairoliera street and the entrance of the same name. Then, it took the name of King Victor Amedée III. During the revolution, it was called Place de la République, and then Place NAPOLEON.
In 1814, during the restoration, it took the name Place Victor again.
Following the annexation of the county of NICE to France, it was named Place NAPOLEON.
Finally, in 1870 it acquired its actual name of Place GARIBALDI in order to commemorate the life of Giueseppe GARIBALDI, who was born in NICE in 1807 to a family of genoese origin.
The childhood home of GARIBALDI was on quay PAPACINO, at the top of the customs services building, but it was destroyed during the extension of the port.
The architect Antonio SPINELLI conceived this square according to the style of squares in TURIN and CONI.
Opposite the entrance, coming from Republique Street, we can see, opposite, the façade of Saint Sépulcre chapel, which since its construction in 1783, has been “l’Archiconfrerie des Pénitents Bleus”.